Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church
Renovation to historic sanctuary
Built in 1927
8,250 SF/1300 seats
Owner: Bryn Mawr Presbyterian
Architect: Atkin Olshin Shade Architects
2006 Merit Construction Award of Excellence
Association of Buiilders and Contractors
2005 Award for Design Excellence
Philadelphia American Institute of Architects
2005 Merit Award, Faith & Form Magazine
- Revived troubled project budget with innovative value engineering
- Major renovation completed within exceedingly tight schedule
Extensive renovations to the sanctuary of this Philadelphia Main Line landmark were initiated to improve the acoustics of the cathedral-like space while adding much needed upgrades to the life safety and mechanical systems. Through careful pre-planning, W.S. Cumby was successful in choreographing a critical path schedule which enabled work to be completed in a narrow six-month window, accommodating the Church’s calendar of events. The W.S. Cumby Value Engineering Process yielded savings of over $500,000, reducing construction costs to fit within the Church’s working budget.
The project included excavation and underpinning of the undercroft of the sanctuary, installation of a new acoustically balanced mechanical system, structural modifications, new fire-protection systems, new wood ceilings, plastering of the entire interior, new balcony space and millwork to accommodate a new pipe organ and extensive lighting refinements.
Copyright © 2005-2017 W.S. Cumby, Inc.
W.S. Cumby, Inc. | (610) 328.5353