Barthco International, Inc.
Fast track rehabilitation of historic structure
including exterior restoration
Located within the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Owner: Barthco International, Inc.
Architect: Casaccio Architects
Size: 44,000 SF
2005 Preservation Alliance Achievement Award
- One of the first major restorations at the Philadelphia Navy Yard
- Met all standards of PA State Historic Preservation Office
- Worked with Client and Architect from concept through completion to accomplish program goals and maximizing value
Barthco International’s future vision included the consolidation of their Philadelphia area operations into one central location. Barthco turned to W.S. Cumby to manage the details of this mission from site acquisition through building commissioning.
The 44,000 SF rehabilitation of Building 26, originally built in 1909, within the historic core of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard included the exterior restoration of the roofing, brick façade, wood windows and metal cornices. The interior space was renovated for new class “A” office space and to retain the building’s historic industrial characteristics by restoring the original 20-ton overhead crane and exposing the steel structural framing and truss system.
This project incorporated a construction recycling program and was successful in diverting 86% construction waste away from landfills.
Copyright © 2005-2017 W.S. Cumby, Inc.
W.S. Cumby, Inc. | (610) 328.5353